February 5, 2015 - "Privacy Under Attack: How the Government is Watching You"
What: Join the ACLU of North Carolina for a discussion about unwarranted use of surveillance technology across North Carolina -- and what we can do about it.
- When: Thursday, February 5, 2015, 9-10 a.m.
- Where: Legislative auditorium, 3rd floor, North Carolina Legislative Building, 16 West Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
- Featuring: ACLU-NC Policy Director Sarah Preston, former state Senator Thom Goolsby (R-New Hanover), and Nathan Freed Wessler, Staff Attorney with the ACLU's Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project.
- RSVP here.
- More details here.
February 28, 2015 - 2015 Frank Porter Graham Awards Dinner
Chapel Hill, NC
- What: The ACLU-NC's annual ceremony to honor those who have helped defend and advance civil liberties in North Carolina.
- Who:This year's award recipients are Jim Grant (Frank Porter Graham Award), Mary Kent Whitaker (ACLU-NC Award), Marilyn Ozer and Bill Massengale (Paul Green Award), the nine courageous families who served as plaintiffs in two ACLU lawsuits that helped win the freedom to marry in North Carolina (Sharon Thompson Award), Josh McIntyre (Norman Smith Award). Read more about the award recipients here.
- Keynote speaker: ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero. Read his bio here.
- When: Saturday, February 28, 2015. Jazz reception, buffet dinner and open bar begins at 5 p.m. Awards presentation begins at 6:30 p.m.
- Where: William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education. 100 Friday Center Drive, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Make your reservations or purchase an ad here. Deadline to RSVP is February 20.